2010-09-03The South Australian Aviation Museum is the State\'s official aviation museum. It is run by an independent non-profit voluntary organisation that is accredited by the History Trust of South Australia. The Museum was formed in 1984 at Glenelg and relocated in 1986 to a former Port Adelaide Flourmill. It relocated again in 1996, to an aircraft hangar also in Port Adelaide, and in January 2006 opened on its present site in Lipson Street, adjacent to the railway museum.
In 1991 the State Historical Aviation Collection became part of the Museum. This collection was formerly held by the National Motor Museum in Birdwood. A collection of rockets from Woomera was received for display in 1996. Amongst the exhibits are a Spitfire Mark VC that was recovered after crashing in Papua New Guinea in 1943, a de Havilland Sea Venom formerly from the aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne and a Douglas C-47B (Dakota) that was used for Government VIP transportation.
The South Australian Aviation Museum\'s Engine Display covers many types and vintage of aircraft engines. Many of these are operational and you can see and hear them on our Engine Run days.